I have some spare time (since whooooopieeeeeeeee I don't have any exams to redo anymore) and since all my friends are studying/working I decided to look for a little summer job (for 10 days - can I even call that a summer job?!!). I just took the first thing I came accross, which is a summer job in a CAMPING. Since it's only for 10 days I decided to take it, and OH MY let me tell you about it.
First of all, this is my FIRST real work experience. I have 'worked' for several years as a sailing teacher during summer but come on, that is NOT WORK!!! That is getting paid to do what you like.
When I started university unfortunately I always had loads of exams to redo in summer, so last years I barely had any vacation, and certainly no real summer job.
Oh and you want to know what I'm doing?
I'm baking fries, sausages, hamburgers and other REALLY BAD STUFF I would never eat. And trust me after you have worked in a chips/fries stand you will NEVER EVER eat fried food again. It's terrible to say that I have not tasted one thing I'm selling to all these people. It's the least I could imagine myself doing as a summer job, and I can tell you now I would not last one month. I'm counting the days till next Thursday - when I'll have my life back.
What I discovered about working in the catering industry
- your feet hurt. I can barely walk when I'm done working
- the hours are INSANE. Like 11 till 11 with half an hour break insane.
- you have no social life. It's impossible to meet up with any of your friends or even respond to text messages because during the day you're too busy and at night all you want to do is sleep.
- you are getting yelled at A LOT.
- the kitchen/floor/pots/plates/..... are NEVER clean enough. And you have to know I'm known in my family and with my friends for being 'the tidy one'
I like it for now because it's ENTIRELY TOTALLY 100% different from anything I have ever done (or imagine I will ever do) so it's a fun experience. I have gained a lot of respect for people in this industry, because the hours are so insane and it's really hard work, just to please some person who wants to eat a meal.
Well that's enough catching up, I'm dying to go to sleep. Tomorrow is another day of baking fries and loads of hamburgers. Fun times.
ps. Yes, I'm only doing it for the money. Being the